Monday, May 9, 2022

Defiant Weaponry

 On my primary Bridge Commander install, I'm coming up against a problem of the Defiant mod I use having too many weapons.  There's a creative alteration for the Remastered version, but even that isn't adequate.

I've added two phaser beam emitters in addition to the dorsal one everyone remembers.   One is the oft-forgotten phaser on the ventral side of the deflector dish, and another is on the aft ventral of the ship.  I don't think that one is technically canon, but there is an errant photon torpedo that launches forward from the ship's ventral stern in "Shattered Mirror" . . . that's odd enough that I'd call it a VFX error and that a phaser was intended.

Of course, we then have the other forward weapons, being the pulse phasers and the quantum torpedoes.   The mod had an oddity with the launchers, but right now I have it set for two launchers capable of two ready torpedoes each.  Ideally, I would have four launchers with one each, per "For the Uniform" and the lower launcher appearance.  (We did see Valiant shoot six in rapid succession against a bug, but I haven't been able to bring myself to configure the ship that way.)

Now our troubles begin.   The Defiant has at least one aft torpedo launcher, but it only has been seen to fire photon torpedoes.  Unfortunately, I am unaware of how to set up a torpedo launcher to use a specific torpedo.  As such, the ship has two aft quantum launchers, which is inappropriate.  I could just delete one and thus nerf the rear arc a bit, but that isn't what I want to do.

Additionally, the forward probe launcher probably should be a photon torpedo launcher, in which case we have too many weapons for the game's limitations, in which you can only have three weapon types.

For BC Remastered, some bright spark set the pulse weapons up like regular phasers, but if I did this and set the quantums as the second weapon I would lose the forward phaser emitter.

If I find a good solution I will update this accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment